Tuesday, July 18, 2006

NCAA '07: Not in my possession

For the first time in a long time, I came home empty-handed tonight.

Today was the day EA Sports' annual NCAA Football '07 hit the stores, and in the recent past, I've made it a point to have the game in my hand on the day it was released.

But today, obviously, I don't.

I don't know what's wrong. In previous years, I'd have known what the new features were and what was new and different about this year's edition. And I'd have known that long before the game actually came out.

This year, it just didn't occur to me. I hadn't even really thought much of it until I saw a thread on SportsJournalists.com. Even then, I did some preliminary review reading, and didn't come away wholly impressed.

There are some root causes, I suppose. First, part of it stems from my lingering bitterness towards Sony for the B.S. they're trying to pull with PlayStation3 (I have a full entry on it here). Secondly, I'm a bit soured on EA Sports for their last offering, NFL Head Coach, which fell short of the lofty expectations I had for it. That was supposed to be my dream game, where I could make like mad scientist and outthink the football world; instead, it's a game that anyone could play.

But I don't know if that fully explains everything. It's weird that suddenly I am so apathetic towards something that, not long ago, was a big, big deal.

I suppose I'll get it at some point.

And to think I would have ever said that about a NCAA football game.

No comments: